"My soul is elsewhere, I'm sure of that. And I intend to end up there." -- Rumi

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

This Wonderful Gift

So... there's something I'd like to share with y'all.  Please note, I haven't cleared this with the author in question, because this is purely one of those impulsive things you feel you have to do before the moment is lost or you just plain forget.  I hope he's not mad at me for this.

My family has been so intrinsic to my time here.  To my sanity, my center.  My constant reality checks.  For every freak out, every cathartic bitch, they were there, and they never once told me to shut the fuck up and man up, even though I'm sure they wanted to.  I tell everyone that my family also happen to be my best friends.  Some of them get it, and some are just like... "oh, that's... nice."

Tomorrow, I will leave my newly adopted homeland for an entirely necessary three-month sabbatical back home.  What began as a half-cocked experiment has turned into a new lifestyle, a new existence.  Barring the unforeseen disaster, I cannot think of anything that would make me want to move back to America on a permanent basis.   Been there, done that.  Got the ulcers.

This past year has unequivocally been the best year of my life.  There's not really even any contest.

This is really a very long, windy introduction to the whole point of what was originally supposed to be a very short post.  Do you all remember the last night I spent in America, with the people that mean the most to me?

When I landed in Georgia, this was waiting for me.

_________________________
Dear Mary,

Well, Mom is happily watching the royal wedding and I am not interested in that at all.  So, here’s my first email to my expatriate daughter.  You’re almost there.  It’s 10:15 as I write this.  Perhaps you’ve already boarded.  I know you are apprehensive and a little worried.  Such huge changes in your life are underway.   But wow, Mary, what changes.  Your life will forever be changed by the next 12 months.  You will grow stronger, more confident, more adaptable.  You will see and do things I will never do and I am happy for that.   Love life and embrace this opportunity, this wonderful gift.

I enjoyed our time in front of the fire listening to so many great songs.  But most of all I’m thinking about how you’ve become a special friend.  That’s truly a wonderful gift for me.

Be well, eat well (if that’s possible in the land of tripe breakfast soup), drink well (in moderation, of course), dance, laugh, make friends and stay single.

All my love,
Dad
_____________________________

This is what I gave up to come here. This is what I miss every day.  This is what I'm willing to put aside for the chance to live abroad, to stretch out my Peter Pan Complex for a couple more years.

But this is also what I know I will come home to tomorrow.  This is why, no matter how awesome or crazy or exciting my life gets, I will never not come home.  No matter how exciting or interesting or fun this crazy life abroad becomes.  Nothing will ever match, ever beat, what I have back waiting for me in Springfield, VA.

My Mom often signs her emails "Be well, do good work and keep in touch," channeling Garrison Keillor.  I hope I have done well in all of these this year (well, maybe not the "be well" part!).

SOON.  It's been a long wait.  I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment