"My soul is elsewhere, I'm sure of that. And I intend to end up there." -- Rumi

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Rules for Playing in My House

Well, this is an unexpected development.

Not entirely unexpected, I suppose, but I guess I never really, truly, actually thought that people not somehow connected to my real, not-online life would take any interest in this blog.

I'm beginning to see signs that I am wrong.

This is a space that I created for family and friends, to be able to communicate with said people while I am far away. And also -- incidentally -- to maybe share some insights and anecdotes with those who may possibly be considering a similar life path, or maybe just happen to find my misadventures funny.

And if you are one of these, may I just say -- welcome.  I am thrilled that you have found my particular corner of the intarwebs and that you have found my ramblings worthy of your five minutes.  I am always excited to meet new folks from across the globe and share opinions and insights.  That is, after all, why I am traveling.

However.

This blog is not here for trolls, randoms, or folks with any other assorted issues of various natures.  All you folks, and your know who you are -- I do not welcome your comments, and I will waste no time replying to them.

Yes, the blog is public. It is public because I'm not sure exactly who among my family, friend, and family friend network actually comes here on a regular basis.  Some of those of my parents' generation may not exactly be internet-savvy, and making things complicated for them by requiring password access or whatever is something I don't want to do.

Some of you out there might think this public forum grants you the right to speak your piece, and even further, the right to a response.  The right to argue. The right to be a dick just because you feel like it and you can.  This is how most virtual environments have evolved and currently operate. (And good Lord, one only has to read the comments on any single youtube video to realize what a swell idea that has turned out to be.)  Well, I hate to break it to you, but here in this particular teeny virtual microcosm, life is not a democracy. This is... my space. Without the annoying music clip that you muted the second you could hover your mouse over the "pause" button. Also it not being 2005 and all.

To that end, I have changed the comment settings on this blog, so that now every comment requires approval before it is published. This is a pain in my ass and an affront to everyone whom this blog is actually meant for, people whom otherwise I would never, and should never, need to censor. But I simply have to nip this bullcrap in the bud, because I believe that arguing on the internet is one of the most goddam retarded things a person can do, and I'm not having any of that shit here on my turf. 

Comments that are offensive, bitchy, argumentative, totally off-base, or simply deemed unwelcome -- that come from random anonymous internet identities that I have never freaking heard of --  will simply be deleted from the approval queue.  Putting things plainly, no one will ever know that you were here.  And isn't that sad?  Better you just not bother, yes?

Because I plain just don't have the patience or the time for such shenanigans.

No comments:

Post a Comment