"My soul is elsewhere, I'm sure of that. And I intend to end up there." -- Rumi

Thursday, June 14, 2012

So kiss me and smile for me.

Well, it's almost over.  Hard to wrap my head around.  A year, a month, and 15 days.

I will not miss having to check the weather before I do laundry.  I will not miss windows without screens.  I will not miss a shower that hasn't had a single day of proper hot water since I came back from Armenia.  I will not miss the "Foreigner's Markup", or temperamental taxi drivers who believe it to be their right to lie, bully, and con their way to a few extra lari at their passenger's expense.  I will not miss awkward cheek kisses, home remedies, and "yes" meaning "no".

I will miss all the amazing people I have met here, all the friends I've made.  A few are coming back, or live here permanently.  But most I will never see again.  That makes me sad.

I will miss my students -- both my kids and the adults at the Ministry.  And Blair of course, who never stops surprising me.  We had an excellent last (for a time!) lesson yesterday, watching a biography of one of her heroes, Steve Jobs.

One of my 4th grade classes, doing an end-of-year production of what I think was Animal Farm.

Georgian Animal Farm includes the dance scene from Pulp Fiction.
I will miss this amazing, stunningly beautiful landscape.

And I will miss my family.  It hasn't been a perfect relationship.  There have been misunderstandings and wee little acts of passive-aggressiveness whenever they felt I had transgressed in some way.  And for some reason, they refuse to put toilet paper in the bathroom, so I need to remember to carry a roll in and out with me whenever I go in there.  Then there's been the ongoing hot water issue.

But, all that minutiae aside, these people have been incredibly good to me.  I regret that my crazy schedule prevented me from being around the house and hanging out with them more, but then again, they were often not home either.  Busy folks all around.  But that just made the things we did do together that much more memorable.  I have such good memories of our dinners together, when my host dad would so proudly present the night's libation of choice.  Did you know that it is very bad to eat strawberries with beer, or pickles with wine?

My favorite things we did together is doubtless the spring and summer supras outside in the yurt.  Last week (so happy I was home!) I got a surprise call in the evening from my host dad.  "Mary, modi!"  All the men from our building had gathered in the yurt for wine and mtsvadi.  I don't know if it was because it was hot, or because there weren't any women (until I showed up of course), but about half the men had decided to go shirtless.  There was a great spread, as always, and they made me feel so welcomed.  The Tamada (who spoke pretty passable English) did a very touching toast to me, and of course I promised to come back.  Easy promise to make, and one I have every intention of fulfilling.

Shirtless supra in the yurt

Drinking to my toast!
Just now, in my last evening with them, Marina gave me a parting gift of a beautiful pearl bead necklace. Just incredibly, incredibly touched.  I'd bought them a big box of chocolates for my parting gift, now I wish I'd opted for the extra-huge box!!  I really must make sure I don't let these awesome people fall through the cracks of my life when I make it back to Georgia.

It seriously is hard to believe that I fly in just eight hours.  Saying my goodbyes to my family in four and a half.  Leavin' on a jet plane.  Another page turned in this life of mine, which after 31 years I seem to have finally figured out a little.

Right now I'm a little surprised how close I am to a tear or two.  This past year has given me more than I would have ever thought possible, and somehow by the grace of God I'm being allowed to come back and do it all again.

But right now, I'm going home.  Here.



"What are four walls, anyway? They are what they contain. The house protects the dreamer. Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game. It's such a surprise." *




I'll be seeing you soon.



* From the movie Under the Tuscan Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment