"My soul is elsewhere, I'm sure of that. And I intend to end up there." -- Rumi

Monday, June 11, 2012

Book Review: The City and The City

Yeah, I haven't done one of these in ages.  I've been reading un-review-worthy fluff, or just plain not reading due to busyness.  The exception, of course, is 100 Years of Solitude, which I did finally finish and liked immensely, although probably not as much as I should have.  But this isn't a review of Solitude, as that would kind of be like writing a book review on The Grapes of Wrath, or Macbeth, or The Bible or something.  (Am I supposed to underline The Bible?)

When I was in Kazbegi, one of my biggest worries was that my kindle (which I had forgotten to charge) would run out of batteries before I was able to finish The City and the City, by China Miéville.

I'd picked the book at random the other week off of that miraculous library that is my kindle, and I can safely say that this is the first new fantasy I have genuinely enjoyed in a long while.

But before I launch into the actual review -- I need to say that when reading his Wikipedia entry, this guy succeeded in thoroughly pissing me off through his unwarranted bitchiness and lack of respect to one J.R.R. Tolkien.  I don't care if you dig his writing style or not -- the guy invented 14 languages and an entire world including a complete history and mythology.  He was a genius, a gorgeous writer, and he became largely responsible for how the fantasy genre looks today.  Again, if pipe-smoking hobbits and talking dragons are not your thing, fine.  But all the same, respect is due here.  Calling Tolkien "a wen on the arse" of anything only serves to make you look stupid.  And kind of petty.  Also -- I do find it hilarious that someone who loves D&D can be so condescendingly dismissive of Tolkien.  You are aware that there wouldn't BE any D&D without Tolkien's influence, right?

But anyway.  Ahem.

So, the guy himself might be a bit of a prick, but his book was pretty decent.  I do love a good "weird Earth" premise, wherein the world as we know it is mostly the same, except for several minor but crucial differences, these being the main plot points and/or setting of the story.  In TC&tC, this alteration to our world comes in the form of two cities, Besźel and Ul Qoma.  These two cities don't like each other much, and what complicates matters is that these cites are right next to each other... and often occupy the same exact space.  Citizens of each city are trained to "unsee" the other city, to basically ignore it like it doesn't exist.  There are certain mannerisms, colors, styles, and architecture that each city uses to identify its buildings and citizens to each other.  "Seeing" the other city, or interacting at all with the other city except in the most strictly controlled circumstances, is the worst crime a person can commit, called "breach."  When a person breaches, the secret, accountable-to-no-one secret society/secret police known as "Breach" swoop in and disappear the person.  They're never heard from again.

Oh, and this is also a murder mystery.  And you guessed it -- the murder involves parties and conspiracies stretching across both cities, and Besźel Inspector Tyador Borlú has to enlist the aid of the Ul Qoman militsya to try and unravel what turns into a very complicated situation indeed.

If there is one complaint I have, it's that the suggested mystery is way more interesting than the actual ending.  I find this happens so often in these types of "weird Earth" novels, Exhibit A being The Somnambulist, the ending of which was the most catastrophic letdown I can remember in a book of its type.  The ending here wasn't bad, it was just that he'd spent the whole book setting the reader up to expect more.  The final "twist" is completely and utterly predictable, and I was left just feeling sort of "meh."  I'd been led to believe there would be some sort of historical connection, some sort of explanation -- even a teaser -- as to how things ever got to be the way they were.  But there wasn't any of that.

Oh yeah, and the ending also has quite a plot hole.  Due to the cities being unable to "see" the other city, police in both cities have to know you're "in" their city before they can arrest you.  Well, the Bad Guy in question decides to take advantage of this, walking and dressing so neither city can identify him.  His plan is to walk straight out over the border, and since neither side can claim him, he won't be stopped.  But my question is this.  Even if neither city (they're also each sovereign countries btw) is willing to stop him... don't you think the other country on the other side of the border would stop him, and not let him cross??  I mean, for not having a proper exit stamp on his passport, if nothing else.  Also each city should be able to pull records on file, finding out which was the last city he'd entered into legally... but whatever. :)

So -- interesting premise like I said, but it does kind of fall apart a little bit at the end.  I got the feeling of everything just sort of being cut short, with lots of aspects left unaddressed.  All the same, it kept my interest and kept me reading, and despite the less-that-satisfactory ending, I enjoyed it enough to try and chew my way through the first book of  Miéville's trilogy, Perdido Street Station.  I recommend checking him out.

4 comments:

  1. I've loved almost everything I've read of Mieville's. There's one or two I haven't gotten to, but he's definitely one of my favorite authors. I think Kraken is my #1 Mieville pick.

    I did not care for Iron Council, though. Be warned: Perdido is excellent, as is The Scar... but tag out before you get to Iron Council.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang... the last book in a trilogy is so key. :(

    I liked him a lot. Re-reading this, I realize I focus a lot on the negative for what was supposed to be a positive review. I should have said stuff like "excellently written" and "convincing characters" and what not. Definitely looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BJ *loves* Mieville. I couldn't get through the first couple chapters of Perdido Street Station. I found the prose overwrought in a way that was particularly jarring in a description of bug-ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's easier to focus on stuff one doesn't like because it's easier to be detailed about why. I get it.

    And the Bas-Lag books aren't a _trilogy_, they're three different books written in the same universe. There's no one thread or story that flows throughout. By skipping Iron Council, the only thing you're missing out on is a fantasy western I didn't care for.

    ReplyDelete