"My soul is elsewhere, I'm sure of that. And I intend to end up there." -- Rumi

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

We come from the land of the ice and snow...

First... more news! I've been selected to be a guest blogger on my Program's official blog! I suppose at this point I finally need to stop sidestepping this issue. The big reveal....my "Program" is called Teach and Learn with Georgia, although seriously that is probably an open secret by now. I will be sure to post links when I write in my new official capacity. I wonder if I can work in a post about Star Trek.

I feel it really must be noted that, for closing on a year I keep on somehow getting pretty much what I ask for. Whether what I ask for is always actually what I really need is another story, but...

My newest host family just keeps blowing my mind on an hourly basis. We are currently closing out the evening watching the Travel Channel (dubbed in Georgian). My host dad and I are sipping whiskey on the rocks.

Yeah. Sipping. From glasses that contain actual ice cubes. My host family owns an ice tray.

Their apartment is utterly lovely. My room is huge, gorgeous, and boasts its own private teeny balcony. There are built-in radiators in every room. And seriously, you should just see the kitchen.

I live with my host mom and dad Mariam and Badri, with their 20-year old son Beka. There are also two grandparents that live in a granny suite, so I see them maybe once a day for a few seconds. Beka speaks excellent English and so far we are getting along great. This is good, because I found out yesterday that my family also owns the apartment directly above this one, and that is where my host parents sleep and spend part of their day. With the grandparents behind closed doors, this means that Beka and I have this enormous beautiful apartment all to ourselves for a good part of the time. Honestly this could be a little weird if it wasn't for my young host's impeccable manners and hospitality.

The four of us have had dinner together the past three nights, and overall things have been nothing but pleasant and easygoing. Mariam and Badri don't speak English but Beka is a very willing and able translator. Badri has selected a different libation for each evening. The first night, it was homemade black wine. The second night, Russian chacha. And tonight, the whiskey. Tomorrow night we are having white wine to accompany the goose he shot today while hunting with his friends.

On Sunday, they are planning to take me on a day trip to Mtskheta.

The one, and I do really mean the only one, less-than-good thing about my new situation is that they do not have wireless. I am posting this from the family's computer which is located in the hallway. I have started the conversation regarding my paying for the extra service if they're willing to get wireless; if that doesn't work I will have to get one of those portable routers like several other TLGers have. So, stay tuned for jealousy-inducing photos as soon as I can upload them.

Yesterday, I had my first day of classes at the Ministry of Justice. They both went very well and I am looking forward to our next class tomorrow. But I don't exactly have my commute to my new home streamlined yet, and it took me over an hour and a half door-to-door. Beka sent me a few texts and finally called, saying his parents were worried about me. I didn't know how to take this -- after all, I plan to be out some nights a LOT later than 9:30! But I finally stumble in the door shortly before 10:00 to find that they had actually held dinner for me. This is not something that my previous host families would have ever done, so needless to say I was thrown for a little bit of a loop! But they were everything that is gracious and we had a wonderful meal with lots of laughter.

Today was very quiet; I did work for my MOJ job most of the afternoon. It snowed (again, for a change) most of last night and today, utterly quelling any possible desire to set foot outside if I did not have to. And Beka just told me that tomorrow will be even colder, with -- yes, more snow. Guess I am rocking the waterproof hiking boots at the MOJ tomorrow.

Ah yes... and of course I am currently waiting to start at my new school in Saburtalo. The weather is shite enough that schools have been closed nationwide until Monday. The (tentative) plan is for me to meet my new co-teachers on Friday, and then start on Monday. We will see.

So... yeah. TLG job co-teaching, job with the MOJ, TLG blog writing, personal blog writing, and studying for my Business English certification. Oh yes, and figuring out where I am going next. It just might be a good thing that this epic winter is keeping me inside where I belong. Because as soon as it warms the heck up I am not going to want to spend many weekends in Tbilisi. There's a country to see, somewhere buried under all this stupid snow.

This has been in my head recently (with good cause).  Now it will be in your head too.


4 comments:

  1. OK, Mary, I hope your're not using up a lifetime of good luck these days. So glad you are busy, and happy! Be well, do good work and keep in touch!! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, have you looked at ypur email recently?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary - buy a router for about 70 lari - it's not the portable deal you pay for each month. Easy installation instructions included. I did this at my host family's house. It doesn't cost them any more per month.

    ReplyDelete