"My soul is elsewhere, I'm sure of that. And I intend to end up there." -- Rumi

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Saburtalo So Far

Time for another "what's been going on" post.  I am irrationally tired, so don't look for much creativity here today.  But without further ado...

My new digs.  Highly preferred.
View from my bedroom's tiny balcony.
Me with my new host brother Beka, in my family's very beautiful living room.
Host dad Badri, Host mom Marina
 A few Sundays ago, we piled into the car and went to take a look at nearby Mtskheta.



I thought Mtskheta was beautiful.  It's probably very similar to what Svaneti's Mestia will look like in a few years once all the construction is finally done.  The downtown was certainly very touristy with plenty of shops selling kitch.  For 50 tetri I got to wear this sexy traditional hat and have Beka take my picture.


We didn't stay terribly long in town because the cold was a significant problem.  But we did stop in and check out this incredibly beautiful 11th century church in the center of town.

Svetitskhoveli Cathedral




On the way home, we stopped at a Kinkhali House for, well, kinkhali.  And vodka.

Marina and me, and one sad uneaten kinkhali. :)
View from the restaurant's window.
Later that day, the family decided to take me to see their country home, in a village about half an hour east of Tbilisi.  Apparently they spend a lot of their time here in the summer, avoiding Tbilisi's city heat.

Badri and his homemade wine.
Then, last weekend Marina decided to show me how to make kinkhali.  I at least got the dough to stay together although mine were nowhere near as pretty as Marina's!



Also last Sunday, Beka's sister Keti came to visit and took me to see a friend's art opening in a small gallery downtown.  I very much liked his work, check it out if you're in the area.  OR Gallery on Lezelide Street.


So that's what I've been up to, at least as far as host family and culture and stuff.  A second post to catch you up on beer and shenanigans (and less culture) is forthcoming.  I also have a pretty mammoth post on this whole Teaching in Georgia experience, which so far I have been quite silent on.  For a reason.  So until next time.

1 comment:

  1. So good to hear from you. Love the photos of your host family. And, that snow looks serious!! Just think, spring is just around the corner. Love and kisses!

    ReplyDelete