"My soul is elsewhere, I'm sure of that. And I intend to end up there." -- Rumi

Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Un-Plan. Also, Wheelie-Packing

Today was officially the first restless/bored/grouchy day since arriving home.  I guess I've settled in.

Remember this list?  I think I've gotten through maybe half of it, and have plans set to check off a few more, which isn't bad for the first month home.  I felt the need to look this up tonight, after a day of feeling like I was just not doing enough with my summer.  (Did beat my Dad handily at Scrabble earlier, which at least ended the evening on a high note.)

Chemicals are stupid.  I have nothing to feel grouchy about.  Earlier this week I bought a one-way ticket to Paris, which is easily one of the coolest things I have ever done.  It still seems weird to me that this is actually happening.  That I'm really going to go.  To Europe.  For three months.  With no plan other than to have as much fun as possible for as long as possible while being as frugal as possible.

Can anyone recommend a good hostel in Paris?  I also finally just registered for couchsurfing, although am still quite apprehensive about this idea.

I think I've got my France itinerary more or less sketched out.  Paris, Dijon, Lyon, Nice, Marseilles, Bordeaux, and across the border to San Sebastian, on the Spanish side of the Basque region.  Of course the whole point of this trip is to be spontaneous and adventurous, so I am trying my best not to plan to my usual obsessive degree.  I do not plan to make language flash cards, day-by-day bulleted itineraries, watch every documentary I can get my hands on, or purchase multiple guidebooks.  I will -- absolutely -- make at least several lists. But once I step off that plane at Charles de Gaulle, I will go where the cheap train or plane rides take me, as long as there is a reasonably acceptable bed on the other end!

After a long talk with my Mom... I'm also pretty certain I'm not going to be actually backpacking.  To put it frankly, I am old, and I see no reason to be humping heavy-ass shite on my back when wheeled suitcases have been invented.  Especially since I do own a suitcase already, and a decent backpack would set me back a cool $300.  It's just the fiscally responsible thing to do.  And it's not like I plan to be spending the night on any mountaintops -- or anywhere I could not roll a suitcase, for that matter.  (Or carry it for a reasonable [brief] length of time.)  Still going to pack as light as possible, given that I will be arriving in Europe at the end of summer and leaving at the beginning of winter.  But yeah.  I've christened it "wheelie-packing."  I think it rolls off the tongue quite nicely.

1 comment:

  1. Hostels in Paris... not really. What I can say is that the traffic is horrible and you should avoid the cabs and take the metro everywhere.

    ReplyDelete