"My soul is elsewhere, I'm sure of that. And I intend to end up there." -- Rumi

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The First Days

So I've stepped away for a little bit.

Part of that is the simple need/desire for a bit of a break... as I attempted to explain two posts ago, there is an almost-unbreachable disconnect between what what then and what is now.  Also the obsessive desire to connect with loved ones far away has somewhat ebbed, being as many of them are no longer far away, or at least were within huggable, pettable distance for a while.  And then... then, of course, is simply the fact that I have been quite busy, living and enjoying my largely responsibility-free days (and nights), reconnecting with friends and family, reading books with pages, cooking, and enjoying proper GnTs with plenty of fresh tonic, ice, lime, and Beefeater gin.

This blog was set up as a medium for me to explore and muse over my life in Georgia, and -- as I am uniquely, unceasingly aware of, both waking and sleeping -- I am not in Georgia any more.  For the moment, I am not traveling anywhere (except that I do happen to be currently in New Jersey, which will get more attention later).  Life has (blessedly) become about absorbing comforts, about slipping into old routines.  I can take a shower whenever I want.  So far, the only challenge/irritation has been a tedious 90 minutes spent at the DMV, during which I taught my father to play Angry Birds.

Life is good; I am happy almost to the point of absurdity.  All this makes for an extremely pleasant passing of hours, very little of which has been devoted to things like email, blogging, or learning Georgian numbers past 15.

Over the summer, one thing I do not want to have happen is for this blog to turn into some sort of Livejournal-esque chronicling of "what I did last weekend."  I don't think that will happen; for one thing, I've been devoting a lot of headspace to planning a band-new, entirely unexpected and previously unthought-of adventure, that I will likely unveil in the weeks to come.  I'm extremely excited about it -- if all goes as planned I will have more than my fill of both challenges and new experiences.  At the moment, things are still quite new and un-set, and I don't want to jinx everything by crowing prematurely.  But stay tuned... it is entirely possible that life is about to get very... nomadic.

But for NOW, I'm afraid that this is going to be a "what I did last weekend" post.  (This one, and the next couple to come.)  Or at least, what I've been doing since I've been home.  Some of it's been pretty noteworthy.  At least if you're me.

As I mentioned previous, my wonderful family -- my mother, father, and sister -- greeted me at the Dulles Airport arrivals gate with tears, hugs, and a Starbucks grande latte.  There's no way I can effectively communicate how it felt to see these people again face-to-face, wrap my arms around them, hear their laughter.  We drove home and Mom made polenta with sauteed mushrooms and spinach, and Dad grilled tuna steaks.  We opened a bottle of white wine and sat out on the screened-in porch, my favorite room in the house.  I know I keep saying this, but it was like I had never been away.  Things settled into place with a comfortable ease that comes from knowing that this is how everything is supposed to be.

First meal back home!!
The next day, I was supposed to be recovering from jet lag, but instead drove into DC with my sister and her friend to have drinks at The Willard and then meet some people at a beer garden.  We took a short tourist walk and said "Hi" to Obama at home.

Mohito at The Willard's Round Robin bar

The next day, our family held a big gathering at the house to welcome both of us girls home at the same time!  I sadly did not take many pictures, but it was an excellent afternoon and I got to see so many friends for the first time in way, way too long!

And then the next day after that, we celebrated Father's Day.  Eve and I got my Dad a gift certificate to his favorite pizza restaurant, Victor's Pizza.


Tasted as good as it looks!

June 20th got off to a sad start; my Dad and I drove my sister to the airport, saying our farewells at United's departure terminal.  The best thing about being an expat, and having a sister who is also an expat, is all the amazing places we both get to see, and visits we sometimes are able to make.  But the worst thing about being an expat, and also having a sister who is also an expat is that there is simply never enough time.  Visits of four days or one month, never enough time.

But then Dad and I met Mom at a local Mexican place for lunch.  So I was at least able to soothe the pangs of goodbye with jalepenos.  Inadequate solace, but better than nothing.

I felt so blessed to be able to have the four of us together again under one roof, even if it was only for a few days.  There is no substitute for family.  So, so happy to be back.

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to hearing about your plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely hate that I am no there right now! Yes, never enough time. Enjoy NJ, swing on the deck, give grandam a lot of hugs and enjoy all the old movie watching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried out Victor's Pizza Den last night. Yummy! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete