"My soul is elsewhere, I'm sure of that. And I intend to end up there." -- Rumi

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Re_Animat, Ruck Zuck, and Call the Ships to Port. I'm Heading Out Again.

Here we go, virtual friends and lovers.  The next phase I'm sure you were hanging on the edge of your seats for, or maybe that was just me that had been doing that.

Germany.

Yea, Germany.  I'll be teaching adults, which you know was one of my top criteria for my next assignment.  I leave -- soon.  On September 25.  And I just got the offer this morning, less than an hour after my second skype interview.

After jumping up and down and running in very small circles for about 15 minutes, I sat down and made a list.  And then another list.  And then a list with subheadings.  I went to B&N and bought two guidebooks and a phrasebook.  I bought my flight.  I ran around in some more very small circles.

And then I sat on the porch with a dry mimosa the size of my head and read my way through Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me, because frankly when you wake up at 7:00 in the morning and have no job, and then at 4:00 PM you not only have a job but that job is in Germany and it's pretty much everything you ever hoped for when you first set out to do this nutty experiment 2+ years ago, and you're set to say Auf Wiedersehen in eight freaking days, well.

There does come a moment when your mind simply shakes you gently and says: "I'm not going to be able to take much more stimuli for a little bit, my dear.  Please do break out the Trader Joe's sparkling white wine and that completely retarded book you for some reason checked out of the library yesterday."

And now here I sit, taking a break from my Supernatural marathon to write this enchanting note to you while I listen to a lot of KMFDM and Das Ich, wondering if I should probably be listening to Beethoven or something instead.

Once again I have no idea what's going to happen.  Last time I was proud of my "grim adaptability" to stride off and face it.  This time, I'm just happy.  Happy, and confident that I can make it work simply because I want it to work so very badly.  This opportunity is, very simply, exactly what I have been working and hoping to achieve, and quite frankly I never really expected to happen, and certainly not like this.  And definitely not this fast.

I've already gone through the elation/denial/elation/barfy feeling/worst-case-scenario imagining/self-confidence boosting/elation phases.  When a person is expected to pack up their shite in a week and a day for a long-term assignment with no formal end date, there really isn't much time for shenanigans so I did my best to get through it all at once.  (Note:  this tactic will probably not work.)

Tomorrow the shopping for a new winter coat will commence.  More list-making and piling of crap on the guest room bed.  Farewell dinners with friends, and that all-important last night outside by the chiminea.  It's all starting again, and I couldn't be happier or more grateful.




P.S.  Oh, and I promise I really will try to get all of Egypt out and done before I go, although honestly in this case even the best intentions may not be enough.  I mean, eight days, people.

2 comments: