"My soul is elsewhere, I'm sure of that. And I intend to end up there." -- Rumi

Friday, April 20, 2012

The Family You Choose

I was going to save this for later, but a conversation tonight with an incredible friend convinced me that now was as good a time as any.

This has been an incredible year.  Joys and challenges I never could have predicted.  And through it all, there has been a particular constant in my life that I feel is deserving of some attention.

I've spoken quite a bit on this blog about my family.  And they truly are the best family a person could ever ask for.  I've spoken a little less, however, about a different kind of family.  My second family, the one I chose (and who were crazy enough to choose me).

This one's for you.

From coming to visit me for a solid month; to sending a care package full of coffee, hot chocolate, and sweets to get me through Tbilisi's crummy winter; to booking me a night at the Tbilisi Marriott so I could have a No Pants Day; to skyping with me while I cried because my dog had just been killed, to sending a gift along with said visiting friend so the two of us could enjoy an extra-nice dinner out.  Countless long emails sent and long emails thoughtfully replied to.  Play-by-play Caps updates.

I want you to know that every single gesture -- all of the above, along with every FB message, every email, every comment to a status update and every invite to a gathering I geographically was not able to attend -- has been noticed.  Noticed, and appreciated more than I can ever articulate.  To say that you got me through this year is no exaggeration.

And if I haven't always been able to make my feelings adequately known, I wanted to take this opportunity to say -- clearly and without qualification -- Thank You.  The friendship I have witnessed this year has humbled me, and I want nothing more than to be worthy of that friendship, and to someday have the opportunity to repay it in kind.

"Here's to you, and here's to me.  And here's to friends we'll always be.  And if..."

Well, you know the rest.

I am coming home, my people.  Break out the good stuff, because it's going to be one hell of a summer.

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing you :) I believe I have some of Maynard's wine for you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, THIS is just one more example of why I have the best friends on the planet. Maynard's wine??? Seriously?

      Also, in my list, I forgot to include last summer's 4th of July messages that made me all weepy and overwhelmed. :)

      Delete
  2. Already shopping the wine cellars to get a couple of bottles for our girl's night. Got one recently called "The Lunatic - 2008" that you have to try. It was highly recommended...and I loved the name.

    :can't wait!!:

    ReplyDelete