"My soul is elsewhere, I'm sure of that. And I intend to end up there." -- Rumi

Friday, November 25, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving and surprise announcement

I don't really need to point out what an incredible roller coaster of a year this has been.  I am so very thankful to be typing this blog entry in Georgia.  I am, always and every day, thankful for my incredible family and friends who have been my rocks and shoulders my whole life, and who continue to do so from thousands of miles away.

Yesterday, Mark and I celebrated by splurging on one of Poti's nicer restaurants.  We ordered roast chicken (no turkey), mashed potatoes, mushrooms with sulguni cheese cooked in the ketsi, ceasar salad, and shared a bottle of saperavi.  Absolutely one of my best meals in Poti.

Check out the awesome edible candlelit sculpture!
I also got a wonderful surprise a couple days ago, and Mustafa came back to Poti for a few days!  So he joined Mark and I last night.  So good to see him again!

Ever the classy and mature one.
This dinner was a special event not only because it was Thanksgiving, and not only because Mustafa came to visit, but also because it was the second-to-last dinner I will probably ever eat in Poti, barring a weekend visit.

That's because I am moving to Tbilisi.  Tomorrow.

What happened to the middle of December, you ask?  Well a lot of reasons and factors contributed to my decision to leave early.  My Program called me last week with the offer to move early if I wanted.  I took a few days to think about it and ultimately agreed.

So.  All packed up, once again.  Tomorrow I leave on the noon marshutka for a very uncomfortable ride to Tbilisi, where I will meet my new host family.  Mom, Dad, two girls.  Sounds a little familiar. :)

They are placing me in the district of Saburtalo.  It's not right in the center but is still definitely city proper.  I'm looking forward to figuring out the metro and bus system.  Also looking forward to finding a part-time second job to help cover all the expenses I know I will have!

So once again, stay tuned!  The Next Phase is about to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment